A remarkable aerial view of the College has recently been rediscovered. This was taken long before the drone-age, perhaps in the late 1930s. Such photographs are part of the early Air Corps Glass Plate Negative collection, which covers the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s. They appear to have undertaken to aerially photograph Dublin city and surrounds in the 1920s and 1930s, covering prominent buildings and institutions.
The College photo can be seen most clearly here. Notable are the fresh-looking Founders’ Building (September 1936), the greenhouse in the Warden’s Garden (now the inspiration for the current construction of the new social centre) and the wall extending either side of the Dolls’ House/Garden Cottage.
Air Corps Glass Plate Negative Collection, copyright Defence Forces, courtesy of Military Archives, Ireland. Reference code: IE-MA-ACPS-GPN-168-1