Gwynn is a house that caters for senior boys (boarders, day pupils or day boarders) from Form II to Form VI. The house is named after the Reverend Gwynn who was the Chaplain and Acting Warden during his time at St.Columba’s. The house has been situated in a variety of locations over the years. In 2004 Gwynn boarders moved from Garden House to the Founders’ Building and the day pupils continued to use Garden house. From October 2017 day pupils and day boarders moved to the Masterman Library which is connected to Founders’. In the Masterman every day pupil or day boarder has a spacious locker for their academic and sports belongings. There is a changing and showering area and a large work space.
Gwynn is a very traditional boarding environment with five dorms, each with 5 beds. The dorms are spacious and every boy has a work space with ample storage for clothing, books & belongings. Generally, each dorm contains pupils from the same Form. There is one common room in the house with kitchen facilities and a kitchenette for the senior pupils at the senior end of the house. The common room is used by all forms. It is used for house meetings, celebrating birthdays, watching TV and chilling out.
All of the pupils in the house regardless of form get to know each other very well. There is a very friendly and homely feel to Gwynn as it is smaller than some of the other houses. Day pupils and day boarders are encouraged to spend time in the boarding house and many enjoy staying late on Saturday evenings to socialise.
Gwynn has a proud tradition of doing well at all of the inter House competitions such as Rugby sevens, Football, Cricket, Debating, Singing, Hockey, Choir, Drama & Academics.
For the coming year Gwynn has chosen Team Hope as their charity. Every year the Gwynn boys help to pack gift wrapped shoeboxes with toys, sweets and gifts for children in Africa and Eastern Europe. Team Hope are also involved in water filter projects, clothing, housing, medical and educational projects.
Our house motto is RESPECT. If everyone in the house (staff and pupils) treat each other with the level of RESPECT that we would like to be treated with, then we will reap what we sow. R.E.S.P.E.C.T is an acronym for:
- R is for Responsibility – we encourage boys to take responsibility for their own actions & futures – with Rights come responsibilities.
- Keep areas tidy develop self discipline work ethic effort marks
- E is for Empathy
- S is for Support – we recommend that pupils ask for support from staff, parents, peers, their faith and that they support others
- P is for Positivity – we ask pupils to be positive and proactive with a good sense of humour especially when things don’t go as planned
- E is for Encouragement – we try to promote positivity, team work and the importance of encouraging others
- C is for Character– we ask people to consider how their actions or lack of actions can impact on others & that their actions become habits, their habits become their lifestyle and that shapes their character
- T is for Truth – being honest with others and with oneself is an essential ingredient in a successful life
The Gwynn staff team currently comprises Paul Cron (Housemaster), Tristan Clarke (Assistant Housemaster), Peter McCarthy, Chris Maye (House Tutors). The Head of House for 2019 / 202o is Sakhile Khumalo (also a College Prefect).