On Saturday last the annual Sports Day took place. The College was awash with colour and, thankfully, sunshine as the boys and girls competed in a range of events from traditional track and field to tug of war (and everything in between). In the end, it was the Blue Team that triumphed!
That evening our annual Sports Dinner took place in the Dining Hall, celebrating the sporting achievements of individual pupils and their collective teams. The assembled pupils, staff and coaches were treated to an extraordinary speech from our guest Old Columban Alex Panayotou; Alex is an ultra-endurance athlete whose story is awe-inspiring.
College ‘Colours’ are awarded to those who are deemed exceptional in every way in their sport: ability, attitude, commitment on and off the playing field, consistency, reliability, character and courage. This year ‘Colours’ were awarded to Avouka Assebian (Athletics), Georg Mueller-Methling (Hockey) and Orla Conlon Batey, Helen Crampton, Anna Laurenceau and Valeria McQuillen (all Hockey). Congratulations to them.
The following were appointment captains of their respective sports for the next academic year:
- Athletics (Boys) – Leo Moreau
- Athletics (Girls) – Avouka Assebian
- Basketball (Boys) – Pedro Grimalt
- Basketball (Girls) – Calina Sacolax
- Cricket (Boys) – Daniel Swift (Vice Capt Thaddy McKeever)
- Cricket (Girls) – Eile ni Chianain
- Cross Country – Shannon Dent
- Hockey (Boys) – Alexis Haarman
- Hockey (Girls) – Sophia Cole (Vice Capt Megan Bulbulia)
- Rugby – Thaddy McKeever (Vice Philip Shekeleton)
Below is a collection of photos from the day’s activities, courtesy of Rev Owen.